Saturday, February 4, 2012

Belouis Some



Belouis Some; born Neville Keighley is best known for his 1985 single "Some People." which debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart at #89 on August 3rd, 1985. The song stayed on the charts for 6 weeks and peaked at #67. "Imagination" also made the top 100 when it debuted at #95 on May 4th, 1985. It lasted 5 weeks on the charts and made it to #88 as it's peak position. Those were the only 2 singles and both from his first album to make the charts, however, he received a fair amount of club play with songs from both his 80's releases.

Belouis Some released one last album in 1993 that contained 3 singles, none of which I have heard. His first album 'Some People' released on Capitol Records is an instant classic that includes other favorites aside from the above mentioned. Both "Walk Away" and "Target Practice" are as remarkable and deserving to have charted too, but that's life.

Listen to Target Practice:



Pete Schwier produced both "Some People" and "Target Practice" from the album, during the same time period he produced the 'Prejudice & Pride' album released by Private Lives. His work is incredible and I was lucky enough to have spoken with him some weeks prior. I do plan on showcasing Private Lives in an upcoming entry.

Gary Barnacle, name sound familiar? He was the other part of Leisure Process. He played saxophone on the track "Tail Lights."

Bernard Edwards, founding member of Chic also had involvement on Belouis Some's first album as he played bass.

Not to forget Carlos Alomar who is best known for his work with Bowie but perhaps more importantly the key arranger to this album. Carlos Alomar is a nice guy who I met two years ago and given the chance I had to mention Innocence In Danger as he played guitar on the single EP release by the band. Anyone remember that band?

Before releasing his second album, Belouis Some contributed to the 'Pretty In Pink' soundtrack and recorded "Round Round" which can only be found on soundtrack to the movie.




Belouis came back on the scene in 1987 with his release of 'Belouis Some' also released on Capitol Records. No charted singles in the US from this release. There were 2 singles released in the UK from the album, "Let It Be With You," and "Animal Magic." Both are incredible and are just an added bonus to some of the non-hit album tracks such as "Some Girls" and "Dream Girl."

"Some Girls" cleverly named, but no relation suggesting a follow up to "Some People" is a solid song that reminds me of something Falco would have recorded. It's a slow and soothing track which fits perfectly for the realm of the time period.

In all, both albums are essential, at least in my collection. I remember I purchased both at Princeton Record Exchange for my 14th birthday when I basically raided the $1 bins while adding over one hundred new pieces to my ever-growing collection.

Where are you today Belouis Some?


No comments:

Post a Comment